Monday, September 11, 2017

Grandparents Day

Yesterday was September 10th on the calendar and was indicated as Grandparents Day. Of course you have to old school and have a printed paper calendar to see this. I don't know who designated this day to celebrate grandparents, but it must have been someone important. Since all my grandchildren probably have never used a printed calendar  as opposed to their cell phone, none of them (or their parents) where aware of this important day. Therefore we did not receive a single shout out let alone a card. That is to be expected since the card makers, particularly Hallmark, do not promote this holiday with specialty cards like mothers day and fathers day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want nothing for myself, but my wife deserved better, considering all she has done for the children and their kids. I don't blame them, it is just a function of the commercialized society we live in. If there's no money to be made there is nothing to promote. September 11th is also a special day. As we honor all the people who died from the horrific terrorist attack sixteen years ago. Each year we recognize those who lost their lives including the many first responders. This is marked on my printed calendar as Patriots Day with, but I doubt if people call it that. To most everyone it is just 9/11.

I'm sure as I visit my calendar I will find many days designated to events and ideas which have been forgotten or need to be renewed. Both grandparents and those first responders help to keep our country strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment