Sunday, March 27, 2011

Eating with the food critic

Having a meal with my wife is always an experience.

 My wife comes from a family of chefs. Her mother was a gourmet chef in her day catering to some of the high society white families in Louisville. She comes from a family of four sisters, no brothers, who all like to and can cook. Her youngest sister is currently a chef in New Orleans, and has had her own restaurant in a couple of different locations here in town. While one of her other sisters has been a bakery chef around various restaurants in town. My wife and her mother have recently operated their own bakery and cafe, The Dessert Gallery, where they made homemade desserts from scratch as well as unique soups and sandwiches.

Therefore going out to eat as calls for critiqing. My wife could no more enjoy a meal without this activity than I could enjoy drinking Kool Aid without sugar. No one is immune including the chef, the waitress/waiter, or the manager. She will not be denied what she wants and expects and is willing to let everyone know.

Of course this is difficult for a man like me who was raised on most of things that people say are now bad for you and fried foods were a way of life. Long gone are meals of fried chicken, fried fish, fried cabbage or anything else. A simple breakfast of eggs over easy, a multi grain pancake, and bacon can be quite adventurous. The white of the egg must be thoroughly cooked, the pancake must be hot enough to melt the butter when it arrives at the table, and the bacon must be crispy but not burnt.

Usually the critic has it her way as they say at Burger King and she should. I love her because she is strong enough to stand up for what she expects she should get for the money she, or her husband, pays.I don't really want anything for myself but a good meal, but I always want my wife to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment