Thursday, April 28, 2011

Laundry

As the middle child in a household that contained no female siblings I have a great deal of experience with the finer aspects of house cleaning. It was a ritual to clean the house on Saturday's before any outdoor or play time could even be contemplated. My mother also was a nurses aid and at one point a dental assistant. What this meant to me was that as soon as I could be trusted , probably after age 10, I was expected to wash and iron those white nurses uniforms that she wore. These had to be done correctly, with the appropriate amount of bleach in the washing machine. At this time in my life we were still hanging clothes out on the line to dry. The iron didn't have an automatic spray setting and starch had to be sprayed on from the can. It took a major amount of skill and effort to get these uniforms crisp without any wrinkles and ready for moma to wear. As a boy I mastered this art.
I say all this to let you know that if you are married you will be restricted to only washing your dirty clothes, and even for that you will receive instructions from your loving wife. It is without question that if you try to wash a load of you and your wife's things that you will shrink, fade, or wash something in the incorrect cycle or temperature. I have learned to not take this personally or as an insult to my intelligence. It is just one of the laws of nature.
I have found I can put as many dirty things down the laundry shoot as i want as long as I am willing to wash, dry, iron and put away my things. I have found out that this system is not followed consistently by my wife who may get it washed but not dryed for awhile. Once it is dryed they may not get folded, ironed, or put away for a few days.  I am more than willing to even help out and iron some of her things when she is not watching.(By the way I know I get bonus points for doing this).  

No comments:

Post a Comment