Monday, January 16, 2012

Don't Forget The Trip

Today we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr's birthday. Dr King was born January 15,1929 and was killed April 4, 1968. During my childhood growing up in St. Louis I remember all of the civil rights movement. I remember it because it was the first revolution that was shown on television. The new medium that brought current events right into your home. I knew of racism and discrimination. While not as harsh as in the far south I could see and feel it everyday, as I lived in a segregated world, and tried to navigate through a world that was run by another race.

The civil rights movement had it's on feel for me as a kid. I saw what was happening to people of color but I was somehow removed. Then I knew why and what people were fighting for, but I was not there. I saw the different leaders and how different they were. Dr King preached non violence and his marches were peaceful forms of civil disobedience. These were met with brutality, yet he continued to press on by faith. Malcom X , the Black Panthers, and others said that civil rights  should be taken by any means  necessary. There were many others to speak but Dr. King's was the strongest beacon of hope. Slowly progress was being made and the I Have A Dream speech galvanized a nation.I wonder about the Occupy Wallstreet movement of today. Are they are trying to protest the wrong caused by the greed of wall street or do they have a bigger cause in mind for all people? If so what is it? How will we know if we make progress? Can they succeed without a champion?

I remember when John F Kennedy was assassinated and many thought that the change for change was gone. However, it wasn't a president from Boston that stepped forward, but a vice president Lyndon B Johnson, from Texas no less, that moved forward to sign some of the most significant civil rights legislature in out history. Dr King preached for the civil rights of everyone, not just African Americans, even if it seemed that way. When Dr King was assassinated in Memphis in 1968 the African American community exhaled, and while things were better, wondered what  will happen next. It was very profound impact on me. The Viet Nam war was still going on and I was enrolled in college,though not thoroughly engaged. Many African Americans were either being drafted or joining the service as a means to a better way of life. I dropped out of school and after working for a while joined the Air Force in May of the next year.

On this holiday where we recognize Dr. Martin Luther King I try not to forget the struggle and the sacrifices that he and those with him went through to travel up the mountain. I try not to forget the journey. He gave the ultimate sacrifice to live by his principles and to make the world a better place for all men. It disturbs me that even today when a question is posted on Twitter, "What do you think of Martin Luther King?" that there are people who  will sit behind the safety and anonymity of their computers and say racist and foul things about him. If you don't believe me, check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment