Monday, March 12, 2012

Death of a Star

A lot of celebrities have passed away recently including Etta James, Don Cornelius of Soul Train fame, Davy Jones of the Monkees, and several others. The biggest name of them all was Whitney Houston. The singer with the fabulous voice who has given us many great songs over the last two decades. She died young and unexpectedly, just before her industries greatest show, the Grammy's.

The way the media treats the death of these mega stars is interesting. It becomes big news which is discussed and talked about over and over, with many twists and turns. How did it happen, why did it happen, look at what the world has lost, such a great talent. Many of these stars have the same human frailties as the rest of us common folks. While it was a loss, as any life is, but I didn't know Whitney, and I doubt she cared much about me, so I didn't shed any tears. While initially the funeral was going to be a family and close friends affair, eventually it was open to the media so that all America could see and say goodbye. I took a pass.

That same week I lost a friend of mine who I had know far many years. His name was Clarence Slaughter. I became a friend of Clarence in the 70's when we worked the streets as salesmen for competing tobacco companies. We met at the same clubs after work, created a social club, chased women, and pretty much had a great time. Even after I moved away from St. Louis we kept in touch. Clarence never married and continued his drinking and carousing long into his fifties, so when I heard he had passed it was not a real surprise, since he was not in the best of health. I felt the loss of Clarence, who I couldn't even find an obituary for in the local paper, than for Whitney whose life seemed so full and rich.

I cry for the victims of the hurricane that recently swept through KY and IN. While I didn't know any of them, I felt a connection I could never feel with our media stars. When one passes on I guess the only thing you can hope for is to be remembered. All of us have a gift, some that is more evident like a singer or athlete. Others like Clarence just may have been able to touch someone like me, in a way I will never forget, just by being who they were.       R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment