Sunday, July 24, 2011

Listen Up

 One of the things I try to tell my salespeople is that they need to listen to what their customers are saying. What I see most of the time is that they will interrupt or talk over a customer when they think they have the answer. It's like they are on Jeopardy and want to buzz in first.

 While the customer is talking they are already formulating in their mind what their response is going to be. Therefore they do not take the time to actually analyze what the customer is saying about what they need. Soon we have a game show going on to see who gets the last word in or makes the last point. Many of us are so preoccupied on getting what we want, we forget that if you help someone get what they want, you'll probably get more than you originally imagined.

I have tried to apply this concept at home, and it has proven to be just as successful there. If you are willing to truly listen to what your partner is saying you will find out what they need. This two way communication is critical for a solid relationship.  The one stumbling block I have is that sometimes my wife isn't really listening to me at all. Have you ever seen the television show where you can hear what the character is thinking, and they show someone else talking, but with no sound? That's the way it happens here sometimes. I may be talking but nobody is listening. My wife is on to the next thought or project in her mind. Fortunately I'm usually saying anything very important on those occasions, I'm not looking for the sale, and she has already bought the merchandise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment