Thursday, December 1, 2011

Handyman's Helper

Due to my recent hip  replacement I have had to solicit the help of an assistant, my wife Donna, to carry on the handyman duties around the house. It is amazing how little things that we take for granted pop up once one is incapacitated. It is also funny to watch my wife address them, since I was always responsible for handling these things silently and behind the scenes. I look at this as good practice for my wife to become a more rounded individual. Since she is the creative mind of the household, projects are forever taking place, usualy  thought up by her and implemented by me. If left to my own accord the house would look the same as inside as it did ten years ago, except for a few minor changes. However, I really love what she has done with the place.

Anyway, the first thing she realized was how many light bulbs are in the house. Also, how many  different sizes, types, watts, etc. Invariably they start going out one at a time. First the small spot light in the family room over the fireplace, then the large flood light in the kitchen, then the small light in the bathroom, the appliance light in the refrigerator, and the halogen light outside in the night lights around the house. First, I had to show her where the light bulb stash was in the garage. Several cases required her to  buy light bulbs from hone depot. But at the end of the day the lights have been replaced. She has also learned where the main water shut off valve is located and the downstairs circuit board. This is important knowledge for and homeowner. 

Yesterday we tackled the dreaded snaking procedure for a clogged drain. She also completed on her own, with my assistance, placing some glass film on the windows around our front entrance way door. She was tired of the plain glass and the ability for people to look directly into the house when coming up to the door. She did a masterful job. It was difficult at time watching her do the steps without interjecting how I would do it and taking over. But she read the instructions, measured the space, cut the film insert, and after some frustrations got her done. 

Our, her, next projects involve putting up new curtain rods and curtains as well as decorating the house for Christmas. This should be fun, since I don't think she knows where all the Christmas items are, and the effort it takes. Happy Holidays 

No comments:

Post a Comment