Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Superbowl Sunday

Since the NFL and the AFL merged I have watch every Superbowl game on TV. I remember the first two with the Greenbay Packers, Joe Namath predicting a win, Doug Williams the first black quarterback to win a Superbowl, the Steeler, the Cowboy, and the 49er dynasties. So when I watched the game this weekend between the Giants and the Patriots I was not overly impressed.

It was a good football game, with both teams playing hard and going down to the last possession. I think that what I miss most about these games now is that I miss the rivalry and the star power that it once had. While there are players of a high caliber on the teams, and usually just a few standouts, the old championships seemed to pit more hall of fame type players against one another. Who on the Giants team can be considered hall of fame worthy at this time? Same can be said for the Patriots, with perhaps the exception of Tom Brady. Will I remember them years from now like I do Lynn Swan, Jerry Rice, Franco Harris, Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, and others.

Today, almost as much enjoyment is gained from watching the commercials to see if there is one that comes out as a true winner. For me this year it was the Doritos commercials. The halftime show with Madonna was a spectacle that I appreciated just for the amount of effort and coordination it must have taken to put it on. watching Madonna vogue was not very exciting for me. WhileI have never been in person, I can see where this could be a memorable event to those in attendance.

The Superbowl is a great American event, but for me I'll take the NCAA basketball March Madness any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment